Tuesday, April 8, 2014

February 2014 Rabid Dogs, accidents, teaching and trucks

We started February with a bang.
Sunday the 2nd of February, our students were to do their first health expo.  We decided to have them do it down campus for the agriculture students and anyone else that might want to come.
The same day, a semi-trailer load of tracts arrived to be unloaded.  It arrived at 7:15 a.m., and the health expo was to start at 8:00.

Unloading cases of bible studies and tracts

After unloading the truck for awhile, I called one of the leaders for the school, asking them to get the students started (unlock the room with the things, etc.) and he was not on campus but in TOWN!  So that limited our options.  I am not good at being in two and three places at the same time.  One of us had to abandon the unloading of boxes and help the students get started.  It was also a time when I could get a ride to town to get some needed supplies for the cooking classes that were to start the next day.  So I got on my bike and headed down-campus.  After getting the students started up and going, I caught the ride to town for the needed supplies.  It was a super challenging day.    There were more than 50 people that went through the health expo.  The students were excited and lots of people were helped.
Then to top it off, on our way back from town with a huge load of supplies (for many people and purposes) a huge storm with rain, wind and huge hail started.  We got soaked, as did many of the supplies.  After all this, we had our second campus meeting for our week of prayer and I had to cook some dishes for the cooking class that started the next day. 
I am glad that all days aren’t like this one was.
This was my first time to do cooking classes by myself in Africa.  I loved doing them in the U.S., but here it is challenging.  I wanted to use techniques that could be done here, and to use ingredients that were available.  Another challenge is some people are city people with electricity and others are village people without electricity.  The students are from all parts of the country and ingredients vary from region to region, also.  Some students are from larger cities where lots of things are available.  So it was very challenging to meet everyone’s needs.  I was very pleased with the outcome, though.  I prayed a LOT about it and during it.  I really wanted to teach things that would really meet their needs.  I have seen some cooking classes where the ingredients are not easily available and that seemed impractical to me.  I pray that it was a blessing to all (they seemed to love it) and that God was glorified.  They now have many healthy recipes and techniques that they can take home with them when they leave, and they can teach others.  The cooking classes wrapped up our health teaching session for this group of evangelism students.

Hands-on Cooking class with the evangelism students

Doug continued teaching at the agriculture school as it was possible.

We had a huge issue come up as a rabid dog showed up on campus.  It bit two people, several dogs and some of the sheep.  It really put everyone on alert.  Many of us worked together to try to catch the dog (and dispose of him.)  There were a few truck chases, and foot chases.  The dog was chased off campus (a long way) and within an hour he was back down-campus! Our chases were unsuccessful, so we were very thankful that word returned to us that the dog was found and killed in a village close by a day or two later.
Four of the dogs that were bitten by this dog did not have current vaccination records and had to be put down.  Poor Doug was the one asked to do the job.  I felt so bad for him.  I felt bad for everyone.  It was a very hard time for many of us.  I am so thankful that our dog was not bitten or put down. 
The two people that were bitten were rushed to town for shots, but were unable to get them that day.
The next day after much hassle, they got their first shots, but then they rushed to Dar es Salaam to get a very expensive human immunoglobulin shot ($1000 US each.)    They finished getting their rounds of shots over the next several days.
A week to the day after the rabid dog issue, there was an accident here on campus.  Two motorcycles collided.  We got the call to come help.  God really had his hand over our staff member who was hit.
Broken wheel and support

It was a miracle he was not hurt more badly.  The motorcycle that hit him and his bike was terribly torn up.  The front wheel was broken and it's support.  Both people only had scratches and strained muscles.  We were able to clean up the wounded people and haul the broken motorcycle to the garage to await pick-up.  Our staff member's bike was bent a bit, but drivable. 
On the 13th we had more excitement as the shipping container for Bill arrived with the printing presses.  We had the privilege to help with some of the unloading.
Unloading printing presses on the shipping container

We had several people coming to our house for medical advice and help this month.  We had diabetics, people with sores, and vitamin deficiencies to name a few.  Doug continues to help people with massages also. 
This month we got news that my step-mother, Barbara, is not doing well.  It was a year ago that she had a stint put in and by-pass surgery.  After one year the doctors found that she had 100% blockage of the stint and 90% blockage of the bypasses.  I was told that they put in four new stints instead of doing more by-pass surgery this time.   
Kibidula’s board meeting was this month, also.  So in addition to all the student missionaries, and other guests, we also had board members from various countries here on campus.  Doug is also on the board.  We had at least 19 visitors on campus at one time!  We have been taking turns making meals for various people.  It has been nice having visitors.
This time was also a sad time as we said good-bye to one of the families that has been here at Kibidula 5 ½ years.  They were the other American family with four children.  All of them are missed, and Joshua especially misses the boys.

Then on the 26th of the month, we left to help make final preparations for the group of 26 people that came from the Iowa-Missouri Conference with the Sunnydale Academy to build the One-Day-School campus buildings and do seven evangelism efforts.  Doug and I were the on-site assistants.  It was extra special for us being that this group was from “our” conference.  Our good friend, Pastor Craig Wiles, also came with them.  It was nice having a friend come to visit!
The group arrived on the 27th of February and left March 15th. 
I, Tamara, helped with kitchen work (cooking, cutting, cleaning, etc.), shopping trips, driving, translation, and odd-jobs.  Doug helped with the construction and much driving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment