Sunday, June 3, 2018

Come with me

One morning after consulting my map to where I had been and where I had not been to offer literature, I set off with my backpack full of books and tracts.

Several blocks from the house I met several people eating breakfast just beside the street.  This is very common, as people set up “shop” at various locations if there is traffic there.  I offered them tracts.  After I finished, they told me to enter the gate just behind them, because there were many people inside that would want them.  One person showed me inside, and sure enough, there were a make-shift breakfast places here and there inside these walls and gate.  I gave my little speech about how these tracts were free, and they could choose which they wanted.  I like to carry a variety at times to allow people to choose.  It also helps them to see that other studies (tracts) are available, and if they want to learn more, they can.


Just as I was finishing up giving tracts to the last people inside these walls, and heading back out the gate, and the young man caught up to me and said he had some friends that I should give literature to.  "Come with me," and he started off.  We walked a ways, and he never looked back to see if I was following. I then asked in Swahili, “I’m to follow you, correct?”  He confirmed.  Ok.  Follow I did.  We walked up to a construction site and he called the guard to open up the gate to us.  We went in and there were many people there working, guarding, or just visiting.  He told me to give them literature also.  I did.  Then he led me into the multi-story building (under construction) and started calling out names of people to come get literature.  The various people had fun asking me all kinds of questions and getting literature.  Soon, I asked if I could go, and the young man said that I could.  I exited the construction site, happy that God had opened yet another door!


A few streets down, people were having their breakfast at more permanent food establishments.  I offered literature to the customers and workers.  As I left the first cafe, I saw that there was something similar across the street.  Upon entering, I realized it was more of a pub.  I offered literature and everyone took something.  Then one man who had obviously been drinking liquor (even though it was before 10 AM) started talking to me about someone (maybe his wife) that he wanted me to come and meet.    He said she was at home and I should come to her.  He even used some terminology that I would expect from a Seventh-day Adventist.  I was puzzled and trying to fully comprehend what he was trying to communicate.  Then suddenly from across the room, another man yelled at me, “NO!” He said it in English, even though all of us had only been speaking Swahili.  I looked at him and he repeated himself with just as much seriousness.  “NO!”

That was pretty clear.  I took a few tracts and stuffed them in the drunk man’s shirt pocket, and told him to give them to the lady for me.  The man across the room seemed content at this, and I made my way out and down the street.

One "come with me" was safe and a good experience.  One "come with me" could have possibly ended my life or something else unpleasant.  God knows how to keep me out of trouble when I keep my eyes and mind on Him.

I really believe that God protected me from something sinister that morning.

Thank you for all your prayers, encouragement and support that make this work possible and keep us safe from many known and unknown dangers.  Many hundreds of people were given literature this day.  Please pray that God will use it to be a blessing to them and those with whom they will share it with.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that could have been a dangerous situation but God was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that could have been a dangerous situation but God was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason hitting the back button makes a repeat comment.

    ReplyDelete